Charlie Wilson has been an independent consultant in team working and leadership for seven years. Before that, he was an officer in the Royal Navy with a varied career that went from bomb disposal to Defence Attaché via ship command in both peace and war. On leaving the RN, he completed a Masters degree in leadership and management. In studying for this he learnt, among other things, that although some of the challenges facing military officers are unique to their situation, many of them are similar to the leadership and management issues facing executives in all walks of life. The more senior the level, the more similar those issues become.
As part of his offering to his existing clients, Charlie found that he was spending more time coaching. In doing so, he recognised both the strengths of this approach and a desire to develop his abilities to deliver it. This led him to study for a formal qualification in coaching and a greater emphasis on executive coaching as part of his portfolio.
Representative Client engagement:
Training emergency response teams in the teamworking, leadership and information management skills needed to manage responses to dynamic and dangerous situations.
Developing and delivering a one-day course in teamworking and leadership for post-doctoral researchers in or approaching their first job leading a research team.
Intercultural leadership development in order to improve post-merger integration between UK and Japanese firms.
Developing teamworking skills for a group from a major bank in preparation for an expedition to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.
Areas of Expertise:
- How teams work and how to work in teams
- Leadership and followership development
- Emergency and crisis management
- Strategy development
Client Types & Levels of Experience:
- Emergency and crisis management organisations in heavy industries
- Bespoke board-development interventions for senior personnel within the MOD
Clients from Private, Public and Not for profit sectors:
- Senior managers in the financial and petrochemical sectors
- Board member of an NHS Clinical Commissioning Group
- Senior management team from an IFA company
Cultural, Multi-National Experience:
- Three years as the Defence Attaché at the British Embassy in Copenhagen
Professional / Corporate Experience:
- Director of own Company
- Member of Senior Management Team at the British Embassy, Copenhagen
Training and Education:
- 2016, Diploma in Coaching and Behavioural Change (Henley Business School), continuing to MSc
- 2014, Professional Certificate in Coaching (Henley Business School)
- 2013, PRINCE2 practitioner; Management of Risk practitioner
- 2010, MA in Professional Development in Management and Leadership (University of Exeter)
- 2009, Certificate in Management Consulting Essentials (Institute of Business Consulting)
- 1978, BSc Biology (University of Southampton)
- Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management
- Member of the Society of Biology
- Associate Member of the Institute of Directors
- Member of The Coaching Forum
Real Community Service (RCS)
- Coaching at The Oxford Academy
- Mentor for undergraduate courses at Oxford Brookes University Business School
- Chairman of Sandford on Thames Village Hall Management