Garry has more than 25 years’ experience of successfully inspiring others to work collaboratively and achieve more, including a career with the John Lewis Partnership that encompassed leading roles in HR, coaching, independent critical review and employee engagement.
Garry works with individuals and teams across all levels of the organisation to construct and communicate a compelling vision for collaborative working and develop strategies to establish a contagious culture of engagement. He has a proven record of enabling individuals and teams to become active participants in organisational change and driving business success.
He is committed to sharing his passion to enable others to achieve their potential in both the commercial and the Not for Profit sectors; Garry’s work with offenders in prisons and mediating in community disputes serves, in the words of the inspirational Stephen Covey, to ‘sharpen the saw’.
Representative Client engagement:
- Appointed to a senior management role (independent of line management) in perceived high risk business function centralising remote customer communication and services in multi-site contact centres. Garry was responsible for embedding co-ownership culture, establishing democratic structures, engaging Partners in business performance and ensuring that management practices and decisions were in accordance with organisation principles. 12 months later the Contact Centres received a European Employer of the Year award for employee engagement.
- Provided independent coaching and mediation to individuals impacted by organisational change. Point of contact for business leaders in matters relating to redeployment, outplacement and redundancy. ‘The value Garry has created for the business should not be underestimated ….his interventions and the manner in which he conducted the role to get the right outcome for all involved has been one of the real highlights of our programme of change’.
- Collaborated with senior management to deliver key performance indicators within a regional group of retail stores. Designed, delivered and evaluated talent management and succession strategies to support delivery of the group business plan. Talent coach for senior branch management. HR project leader for acquisition and integration of competitors’ stores.
- Contributed business and HR expertise in local Academy. Advisor to Head Teacher and senior team performance reviews. Inspired the vision of becoming the school of choice for students and parents. Governing Body received an outstanding Ofsted grading and a Sussex Education Award in 2009.
- Presently utilising coaching and NLP skills to establish empathetic relationships with offenders; supporting and challenging them to take responsibility for their actions and their life choices.
Areas of Expertise:
- Workshop facilitation
- Coaching and career counselling
- Employee engagement
- Change management
- Leadership training and development, team building
- HR business partnering: talent management, recruitment, assessment, performance management, pay and reward, disciplinary and grievance
Client Types & Levels of Experience:
- Leadership and operational teams
- Project teams and organisations in transition
- Employee representative bodies
Clients from Private, Public and Not for profit sectors:
- Retail & manufacturing
- Employed and self-employed professionals
- Not for profit organisations associated with Restorative Justice & Community mediation
Cultural, Multi-National Experience:
- UK: commercial and community
Professional / Corporate Experience:
- Independent coach, facilitator and employee engagement specialist
- Directorate Partner Experience Lead – coaching and mediation
- Work stream leader in directorate change programme
- Senior manager- independent critical review & employee engagement
- Group Personnel Manager
Training and Education:
- Post-grad diploma in personnel management
- City & Guilds Graduateship award in Coaching Practice
- Mediation Skills accreditation
- NLP Practitioner
Chartered member of the Institute for Personnel and Development (CIPD)
Real Community Service (RCS):
- Prison Fellowship: facilitator on victim awareness and restorative justice programme for offenders
- Mediation Plus: Community mediator